Photos: Ho Central Market fire started from refuse container-Eyewitnesses

Source: Ghana| Myjoyonline.com| Oswald K. Azumah
Date: 3rd-january-2018 Time:  2:32:59 pm

Share this story:

A fire has brought to ashes, a section of the Ho Central Market in the Volta Regional capital Wednesday morning.

According to Joy News correspondent Hubert Mawuli Yevu-Agbi, the fire started at dawn and has destroyed shops close by.

New Ho Fire

“The Fire Service personnel told me that a policeman called them around 5:30 in the morning to report the fire”, Mr. Yevu-Agbi told Joy News TV’s AM show, Wednesday

New Ho Fire

The Ghana National Fire Service has put the situation under control.

“The  Fire Service is investigating the situation further and will come out with their report on the cause in due time”, he said.

Eyewitness accounts traced the source of the fire to a Zoomlion refuse container. 

The shops affected include dealers in second-hand clothing, cosmetics, and some rubber products, Mr. Yevu-Agbi reported.

According to him, the owners of the destroyed shops are lamenting over the loss just three days into the New Year and are calling on the government to come to their aid with some relief packages.

New Ho Fire

He also reports that business activity has reduced abysmally at the market as a result of the fire. Some food item traders have however arrived to begin their activities for the day.

New Ho Fire

New Ho Fire

The Volta Regional Minister, Archibald Letsa has also been briefed on the issue and is expected to comment soon, Mr. Yevu-Agbi told News Desk programme on Joy News TV.

The Fire Service has also cautioned against dumping of hot and flammable waste into the refuse containers, especially as the harmattan season is in full swing.

Ho Fire

Ho Fire

Ho Fire

Ho Fire

Listen to Audio: 

  What others are reading

  More in this section