Elmina Castle built by the Portuguese in 1482 as São Jorge da Mina in the Central Region, is in ruins as a result of lack of maintenance.
The Castle, also known simply as Mina or Feitoria da Mina was first established as a trade settlement, the castle later became one of the most important stops on the route of the Atlantic slave trade.
It also served as a military post to ward off attack on the Elmina Castle by enemies.
The Dutch seized the fort from the Portuguese in 1637, and took over all the Portuguese Gold Coast in 1642.
The fort and castles have been preserved as national monuments, after the slave trade and attract visitors from both within and outside the country, who throng the place to learn about the cruelty of the slave trade.
Whereas tourists visit the castle and raking in revenue for the state from gate fees and sales of souvenirs, that cannot be said of the Fort which stands on the hill overlooking the castle.
Some staff of the Ghana Museum and Monuments Board (GMMB), custodians of the castles and forts are competing with birds for their occupancy.
Reports say Visitors to the castle do not feel encouraged to continue with their sightseeing at the fort because of the unpleasant outlook of the place.
According to the reports, the road leading to the fort has partly been washed by sea waves and outboard motor mechanics are also using part of the road as fitting shops.